Friday, May 18, 2012

Bucktailing Success!

So far this year I have landed 88 Striped Bass.  Every single one has been on some type of subsurface lure.  Cocahoe and jighead, soft plastic swimshad and jighead, or bucktail with porkrind trailer.

I have caught 5 keeper size bass thus far and all of them have been on a white 3/4 oz. bucktail with a trailer.  The picture above is of my most recent catch.  This bass was holding behind a visible piece of structure that was breaking the incoming current.  I dropped the bucktail just in back of that structure and WHAM!  Fish on!!!
I am really enjoying learning how to fish bucktail jigs.  I have fished them on sand beaches, rocky shores, rocks and inlets and continue to be amazed at the fish producing power of this lure.  If you haven't tried bucktailing - you should.  You will catch fish and losing jigs just doesn't happen as much as you might think it does.  I would also highly recommend John Skinner's new book Fishing the Bucktail.  This book has decreased my learning curve by a ton and helped me to make and dye my own bucktails for fishing. 

With bigger tides set for this weekend, I am looking to the bucktail to produce more keeper bass.  Hopefully my first 20 pounder!

See you in the surf - jc.

No comments:

Post a Comment